Sunday 26 August 2012

Creeping closer

It's almost time to start packing! 


Except I don't know what to pack, or where to put it. Numerous friends and family have offered varied, inconsistent and sometimes not-very-sensible suggestions as to luggage requirements.


My aim is not to have quite as many pieces of luggage as this person.

But I am not infamous for procrastination for nothing. Truth is, I'm putting off doing any real packing because then I will have to start saying my goodbyes, and that is too sad to do just yet!

A few tips that do seem to come up often in the wealth of travel advice I have been given, and which I will try to follow:

1. Rolling seems to be the way to go. Rolling clothes that is, into compact, airless-as-possible bundles. I've tried it out and it does save more space, so this one's a winner.

A professional roller. Wish my jeans rolled as tightly as hers. 

2. Don't pack fancy shoes. Okay, I know that this is well-intentioned advice as heels are heavy and awkward to pack and take up valuable room. HOWEVER. I think I will be taking just one pair of just-in-case-I-go-out black heels because What If.


Definitely nothing as ridiculous as these babies. 

3. Don't pack fancy clothes. This is something I realise will save me a lot of grief later on, so I will try to minimise packing party dresses. I think I might just take one Litte Black Dress though (she says, optimistically).


4. Toiletries/cosmetics: don't try to take everything in your bathroom drawer. This has been an agonizing decision for me, but I have forbidden myself from taking anything I haven't used in the past month. Plus, if the stories are anything to go by, cosmetics in Canada and the U.S. are way, way cheaper than Australia, so I'll be better off going empty and stocking up.


5. Don't panic and start buying shit you don't need, because it probably won't be suitable for overseas. Again, this is something I've had to try very hard to stop myself doing. I've limited myself to one sensible and thick (I hope) everyday jacket.


This is just the basics, and a lot of it is aimed at reducing baggage. This is because I am a hoarder by nature, coupled with the fact that I can barely carry anything weightier than a handbag (which The Boy occasionally has to carry for me) (man, I'm going to miss having someone carry my shit around for me).

So this is where I'm at right now:



As you can see, I have dumped a pile of clothing and what-not into an old suitcase that was retrieved from the spidery arms of the garden shed. Fingers crossed I don't forget anything important once I actually am packed!


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have it all sorted Deb. I would only suggest that you take a jar of vegemite. Even though people will find it gross, it is a great ice breaker (not that you would have any trouble breaking the ice). Have a fantastic trip! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! The big question, how many books will you take? hehe. Hope your uni has a good library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Hannah I was meant to start liking vegemite this year so I could take it with me on exchange, but I haven't gotten around to it. But I will take a small tub of vegemite, you're right, it would be a great ice-breaker (because it is so GROSS) hahaha. Em, I am loading up my Kindle and trying to stop packing "really-interesting-flight-books" into my hand luggage - I know I'll regret carting them around!

    ReplyDelete